To become a member or make a donation, please visit our online store.
Breastfeeding and Medications:
Infant Risk Center
International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC)
For more information on IBCLCs, including scope of practice, certification process, and more local recommendations, please visit the New York Lactation Consultant's Association.
Annie Frisbie - Aetna in-network provider
Western and central Queens and north Brooklyn
One day a week in Park Slope/surrounding neighborhoods
Long Island City and parts of Astoria that are walking distance from the N/W train
Long Island City, Astoria, Sunnyside and Jackson Heights if within walking distance of the Subway
Nikki Katsuki - Aetna in-network provider
Anywhere in Queens
Kate DiMarco Ruck
Manhattan, western Queens
Catherine Watson Genna
Office only, Woodhaven
Beth Israel Medical Center
Lactation clinic, Manhattan
Mona Gabbay, MD
Physician specializing in breastfeeding, Pelham
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
"It’s no secret that breastfeeding is the normal, healthy way to nourish and nurture your baby. Dedicated to supporting nursing and expectant mothers, the internationally respected La Leche League has set the standard for educating and empowering mothers in this natural art for generations.
Now their classic bestselling guide has been retooled, refocused, and updated for today’s mothers and lifestyles. Working mothers, stay-at-home moms, single moms, and mothers of multiples will all benefit from the book’s range of nursing advice, stories, and information—from preparing for breastfeeding during pregnancy to feeding cues, from nursing positions to expressing and storing breast milk. With all-new photos and illustrations, this ultimate support bible offers
• real-mom wisdom on breastfeeding comfortably—from avoiding sore nipples to simply enjoying the amazing bonding experience
• new insights into old approaches toward latching and attaching, ages and stages, and answers to the most-asked questions
• strategies for moms who choose to breastfeed for a short time or who plan to nurse for a year or more
• reassuring information on nursing after a C-section or delivery complications
• recent scientific data that highlight the many lifelong health benefits of breastfeeding
• helpful tips for building your support network—at home or when back at work
• nursing special-needs infants, premies, multiples, and how to thrive no matter what curveball life throws
• guidance on breast health issues, weight gain, day care, colic, postpartum depression, food allergies, and medications
Plus—Internet references for further information, including La Leche League support sites and groups.
Mothers bringing babies into a new world want sustainable, healthy, positive ways to help their children blossom and thrive. There is no better beginning for your baby than the womanly art of breastfeeding."
The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk
"Separate fact from fiction with help from this comprehensive book about improving low milk supply. Written by two leading experts who have been there themselves and officially recommended by La Leche League International, The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milkincorporates the latest research and discoveries about causes of low milk supply, the way your body makes milk, and how babies contribute to your milk production. Best of all, you'll find valuable suggestions for both time-honored and innovative ways to make more milk.
Learn the facts about:
- Determining if baby is really getting enough milk
- Supplementing without decreasing your supply
- Maximizing the amount of milk you can make
- Identifying the causes of your low supply
- Increasing your supply with the most effective methods, including pumping, herbs, medications, foods, and alternative therapies
- Making more milk when you return to work, exclusively pump, have a premie or multiples, relactate, or induce lactation"
Nothing in this website constitutes medical advice. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions related to the information on this site.